Monday, May 7, 2012

Mondays

Springtime at last

Today is Monday. The terror.
Everyone gets all upset and out of sorts on Mondays. I work at a restaurant/bakery so I get to see everyone before they've had their morning coffee. Their true colors. Monday's are even worse. I don't know why though, and I was wondering this today. 

Cherry Blossoms in the yard.

Today I got the "Monday blues" at least four times. This was because I kept forgetting and re-remembering that it was even Monday in the first place. People kept reminding me. If they would just keep their misery to themselves, that would be lovely, and I could go about my day grinning at people and wishing them a "great weekend" or ask them if they'd like ketchup or hot sauce with their pancakes. Everything would be fine. Of course this never happens. I kept being reminded about the unfortunate day of the week and for some reason, it kept putting the heavy Monday damper on things.


So obviously that whole thing must just be a mental hang-up. "Oh its Monday, Monday sucks." but if you work all weekend and have Monday, Tuesday off, then Monday's aren't so bad right?

WRONG.


One of my customers said to me today that the kid they were babysitting woke up this morning and just started crying. He knew. He knew it was Monday. 

So that clearly solves it. 

Mondays suck. All the time. Looking back on it, Mondays always were a little bit less spectacular even when I was unemployed. 

If its a mental thing, its so well ingrained into our minds that we don't have a choice anymore. We've evolved to hate Mondays through years and years of mankind slaving away Monday to Friday. We learned to walk, make fire, and hate Mondays. Even though Monday technically never did anything wrong to us besides be the day at the beginning of roughly 5 days of work. 

A bumblebee showing the love

This was my thought process today.

Having said that, it was a lovely stupid Monday. The sun is out, the island is warming up, and the flowers are popping up everywhere. Its like people have been literally hibernating and just woke up and crawled out of their caves, because I feel like there are twice the amount of people milling around town at any given time of day (except for after 5pm, because let's not get crazy here. Everything is closed. Its like lights out at 5pm.) This makes me want to Google bears and see if they are also grumpy when they wake up from hibernation. 

So now its Monday evening, the blues are subsiding, and tomorrow it will be Tuesday and everyone will have another excuse about why this day of the week sucks. At least no one can complain about the cold anymore. Everyone get your whining ready for allergy season!



Here is a list of weekdays, and the common complaints about each: 
Monday: Is Monday
Tuesday: Is the day after Monday, as in "Its only TUESDAY?"
Wednesday: Mid-week, its always tough. Because its Wednesday and its mid-week.
Thursday: Not Friday yet.
Friday: Its almost the weekend, you can't expect anyone to be focused on this day, or get anything right.
Saturday: Rocks, but its also almost the weekend, so again, you can't expect anyone to be paying any attention to you.
Sunday: Is almost Monday.

This is an official list that everyone seems to be aware of from birth, although not everyone is aware of it until they get their first job. 

 
Good Morning at the Fogarty house




 
This is the sun. Making everything ok.




 Poppy relaxing and making the porch look gooood





1 comment: